Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FreeWee Ling assumes helm as UWA 3D Art Challenge Curator

.
UWA is happy to announce that FreeWee Ling has stepped in to take the role of curator of the newly launched UWA 3D Open Art Challenge.

It seems Disney is now also singing songs about her! 1:56 minute mark of A Whole New World.

In her words "It's a tremendous honor to have been asked to take over the reins at the UWA 3D Open Art & Design Challenge from the highly capable hands of quadrapop Lane. It would not be the juggernaut of the SL art world that it has become in one short year were it not for her tireless work. I will do my best to be worthy of her legacy.

The UWA Challenge tagline “Make something to take our breath away” is what it’s all about for me. I want to see something new. So much work, even good work, even my own work, is so obviously derivative. When I see something that is truly new–something I’ve never even imagined–that’s what I live for. That’s the breath of Creation itself. A religious experience. I've been fortunate to have owned the Galerie de la Vie on Artemisia the last few years. What I learned from that experience is that living with art day after day for an extended period of time is qualitatively different from visiting it once in a gallery. You get to know it more intimately. That deeper experience of amazing work by so many amazing artists has left me with both a critical eye and a profound appreciation for truly original work.

I look forward to having that experience at UWA as I personally handle each work and get to know it on a level few are privileged to do. This will be a lot of hard work, but it's also gonna be fun."


The UWA 3D Open Art Challenge is a grand collaboration with a L$1,000,000 Prize Pool. This year long art challenge is open to everyone in Second Life and is a collaboration among major art houses & groups in Second Life, including SL Arts, CARP, Pirats Art Network, Odyssey, Show & Tell, BOSL & UWA. The major sponsors of the Challenge are UWA, Philip Vought and Patch Thibaud.





1 comment: